Arthur begins to empathiseOne year old Arthur is reading a book with Dad in a cafe. He notices the expressions on the faces in the book. An older girl hurts herself, Arthur gives her a cuddle to help her feel better.
Good for looking at
- The beginnings of empathy
- Emotional development
- Theory of mind
One year old Arthur is reading a book with Dad in a cafe. He notices the expressions on the faces in the book. An older girl hurts herself, Arthur gives her a cuddle to help her feel better.
- How do we know what Arthur is interested in? Be specific, look out for body language, actions, gestures.
- How is Arthur learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- How does Dad support Arthur’s learning?
- What is valuable about the specific book they’re looking at?
What did you recognise about:
- The way Arthur is learning?
- What Arthur is beginning to understand?
- The adult role – how did Dad support Arthur?
What would you do to:
- Support Arthur’s development of empathy?
- Model empathic behaviours for young children?
- How could you encourage parents to share books with very young children in this way?
- How do you make even such young children feel confident to express their feelings in your setting?
- Are there any other ways you can support children to be aware of different facial expressions and what emotions they signify?
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/sirenfilms.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/siren-films/templates/parts/video/tabs/transcript.php on line 13