Pretend the baby was in the cupboardFive year old's Orson, Max and Luke are playing with Duplo lego in the school yard. They've already build some structures that includes their home. A pretend scenario develops.
Good for looking at
- Pretend play
- Emotional development
- Object play
- Creating narratives
Five year old’s Orson, Max and Luke are playing with Duplo lego in the school yard. They’ve already build some structures that includes their home. A pretend scenario develops.
- What are the children are interested in? (Look out for non-verbal and body language as well as spoken language)
- How are the children learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe
- What is valuable about the materials provided?
What are your thoughts about:
- What areas of learning and development were covered in this play?
- Was there a leader of this play?
- Did the children have a joint aim?
- Did they communicate effectively with each other?
- What effect did the resources provided have on this play?
What would you do to:
- Support the children’s play? Would you interact at any point if they are playing happily?
- Could you provide materials like this to support children’s imaginations and story telling? What other kind of resources do you think would be good to encourage this kind of play?