Professional Love – observation clip 2Magda and Jenna are playing on the indoor gym, Darryl is close by watching. They run for a cuddle.
Good for looking at
- Professional love
- Unconditional positive regard
- Supporting upset, crying child
- Supporting unwell child
- Attunement (Tuning in)
“The work of early childhood professionals involves not only ‘care and education’ but ‘love, care and education’”
(Page and Nutbrown 2008:183)
Keep this quote in mind while you watch the clip and also think about the following question:
- What evidence do you see of professional love and unconditional positive regard for children and parents?
What are your thoughts about:
- What Magda and Jenna were communicating about their feelings – think about their body language, gestures and verbal communication?
- What are they learning from this interaction – about being loveable and about somebody being there for them when they need it?
- How are Magda and Jenna learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- The role of the adult in this interaction – how did she support Magda and Jenna?
(you may want to watch more observation clips before moving on to further reflection)
- Being in a warm loving environment is beneficial for us all. What impact does it have on your emotional well-being when you watch or are around children and adults who display loving relationships?
- What have you felt when your key children have left or moved on?
- Are there times when you’ve found it more difficult to treat all of your key children with unconditional positive regard? Why do you think this was?
- What access do you have to professional supervision and reflection on your role as a key person?
- What further support would help you – to safeguard your wellbeing as well as improve your practice?
- How do you support parents to understand the particular nature of the key person role?
- If you are a manager, how do you handle the complexities of the key person approach in your setting?
- How do you ensure that you are providing a warm, nurturing environment for children and adults alike?
- What provision/support system could be put in place to support the complexities of relationships between you, the child and their family?
- Could these kinds of issues be discussed in personal supervision sessions?
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/sirenfilms.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/siren-films/templates/parts/video/tabs/transcript.php on line 13