Yasmine explores slopes and edges18 month old Yasmine is exploring the garden. She is interested in a particular spot in the corner with a step and slopes. What is she's investigating?
Good for looking at
- COEL - Playing and exploring, finding out and exploring, having a go, involved and concentrating, Active learning, involved and concentrating, keeping on trying
- Physical play
- Physical development - space, slopes gradients
18 month old Yasmine is exploring the garden. She is interested in a particular spot in the corner with a step and slopes. What is she’s investigating?
- How do we know what Yasmine is interested in? Be specific, look out for body language, actions, gestures.
- How does Yasmine engage with these objects?
- What is she learning from her play?
- Which development areas, characteristics of learning are evident?
- What is valuable about the materials provided?
What are your thoughts about:
- What Yasmine is interested in? What is she exploring?
- Yasmine’s levels of involvement in this self chosen activity?
- The role of the adult in this interaction – how did she support Yasmine?
- The value of this type of physical exploratory play for Yasmine?
What would you do to:
- Extend Yasmine’s learning – e.g. supplying other materials and resources, talking to her about what she is doing, make more observations to get further insight into her thinking?
- Encourage other children to join Yasmine’s game?
- Do you need to allow more time and space for this kind of physical and explorative play to occur in your setting?