Heidi looks at book about thunderTwo year old Heidi as just been out in the garden at nursery when there was a thunderstorm. She was frightened and the other children and adults have been helping to make her feel better. She's chosen a book to share with the practitioner.
Good for looking at
- Sustained shared thinking
- Communication and language development
- Helping children over come fears
Two year old Heidi as just been out in the garden at nursery when there was a thunderstorm. She was frightened and the other children and adults have been helping to make her feel better. She’s chosen a book to share with the practitioner.
- What cues can you see that shows what Heidi is interested in? (Look out for non-verbal and body language as well as spoken language)
- How is Heidi learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- In what ways the adult supporting Heidi’s learning?
What are your thoughts about:
- The value of this type of interaction for Heidi?
- The role of the adult in this interaction – how did the adult support Heidi?
- The importance of the choice of book for Heidi?
What would you do to:
- Support Heidi’s understanding of the world and calm her fears about thunder?
- Extend Heidi’s learning – emotions are intrinsically linked to learning and feeling scared at nursery after the storm could be a powerful experience for Heidi which could be remembered as a fearful or a powerful learning experience. How could you develop her understanding further?
- Model reading skills for young children and show how useful they are?
- Could you talk about your own fears and how you over came them?
- Do you need to encourage more of this kind of caring, supportive, interaction for all of the children in your setting
- Do you need to make changes to make spaces inviting for sharing books together?
- Do you know enough about the value of allowing children to share books in a relaxed warm environment? How do you manage this in your setting?
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/sirenfilms.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/siren-films/templates/parts/video/tabs/transcript.php on line 13