In the den
Seb, almost four and his friend Chelsea, four years, are playing in the garden in a den they have built. They develop a pretend narrative questioning each other about the possibilities and how people work.
Good for looking at
- COEL – Playing and exploring, Creating and thinking critically
- Pretend play
- Emotional well-being
- Understanding the world
Seb, almost four and his friend Chelsea, four years, are playing in the garden in a den they have built. They quickly develop a pretend narrative.
- What are the children are interested in? (Look out for non-verbal and body language as well as spoken language)
- How are the children learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- How does the environment support the children’s learning?
What are your thoughts about:
- What the children were interested in?
- The importance of the environment and the materials? How important is the den?
- Their emotional development?
- The communication skills involved?
- The importance of the friendship?
What would you do to:
- Extend the children’s interest in how the body works?
- Support the children’s well-being through play?
- Could you provide time and space for children to spend time to themselves or in small groups?
- Could you suggest a way of encouraging this kind of role play in your own setting?