Playing with bricks
Three year old Seb is building a police/fire station with his mum. He talks through his thinking as they collaborate on the structure.
Good for looking at
- COEL – Creating and thinking critically
- Object play
Three year old Seb is building a police/fire station with his mum. He talks as they collaborate on the structure.
- How do we know what Seb is interested in? Be specific, look out for body language, actions, gestures.
- How is Seb learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- In what ways does Mum support Seb’s learning?
- What is valuable about the materials provided?
What did you recognise about:
- The way Seb is learning – what evidence did you see of him creating and thinking critically?
- The areas of learning and development that were covered?
- The adult’s roles – how did she support Seb?
- The importance of the materials?
What would you do to:
- Encourage Seb to expand his interests and increase his problem solving skills? Could you give him more time and more objects and see what he does?
- Encourage him to share his skills with other children? Also could others show him more ideas for what to do with the bricks?
- Could you suggest a way of doing something similar with the children in your own setting?
|Nursery World Article about Seb's block play||Download|