Jamie plays with objects
20 month old Jamie is given a selection of open ended objects. There are multiples of each type of object. She concentrates hard and seems to have specific ideas of what to do with them.
Good for looking at
- COEL – Playing and exploring, Active learning, Creating and thinking critically
- Object play
- Loose parts
- Fine motor development
20 month old Jamie is given a selection of open ended objects. There are multiples of each type of object.
- How do we know what Jamie is interested in? Be specific, look out for body language, actions, gestures.
- How does Jamie engage with these objects?
- What is she learning from her play?
- Which development areas, characteristics of learning are evident?
- How does the adult support Jamie’s learning?
- What is valuable about the materials provided as learning resources?
What did you recognise about:
- The way Jamie is learning – what evidence did you see of her creating and thinking critically?
- The areas of learning and development that were covered?
- The adult’s roles – how did they support the child?
- The importance of the materials?
What would you do next?
- Could you talk to Jamie’s parents/carers about what you thought she was interested in?
- Could you give her more time and more objects and see what she does?
- Could you suggest a way of doing something equivalent with the children in your own setting?