Rosa and the magnifying glassTwo year old Rosa is playing with some blocks, small animals and a magnifying glass. She has just finished looking at a book about sizes. She finds out more about size during her play.
Good for looking at
- COEL - Playing and exploring
- Play with objects
- Key person approach
Two year old Rosa is playing with some blocks, small animals and a magnifying glass. She has just finished looking at a book about sizes. She finds out more about size during her play.
- How do we know what Rosa is interested in? Be specific, look out for body language, actions, gestures.
- How is Rosa learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- In what ways does the adult support Rosa’s learning?
- What is valuable about the materials provided as learning resources?
What are your thoughts about:
- How and what was Rosa was learning?
- Rosa’s level of development?
- The role of the adult in this interaction – how did she support Rosa?
- The value of this type of object play for Rosa?
What would you do to:
- Support Rosa’s development of effective learning strategies?
- Extend Rosa’s learning?
- Encourage other children to join Rosa’s game?
- Do you need to encourage more of this kind of play and learning for the two year olds in your setting?
- How can you make time for individual children in your setting?