Yasmine grouping toys18 month old Yasmine is playing in the nursery garden. She spots some wooden toy creatures, what will she do with them?
Good for looking at
- COEL - creating and thinking critically, making links and developing ideas of grouping
- Object play
- Following own interests
- Physical development
18 month old Yasmine is playing in the nursery garden. She spots some wooden toy creatures, what will she do with them?
- How do we know what Yasmine is interested in? Be specific, look out for body language, actions, gestures.
- How does Yasmine engage with these objects?
- What is she learning from her play?
- Which development areas, characteristics of learning are evident?
- What is valuable about the materials provided?
What are your thoughts about:
- What Yasmine was interested in? What concepts do you think she exploring?
- Yasmine’s level of involvement?
- The role of the resources in this interaction?
- The value of this type of exploratory play for Yasmine?
What would you do to:
- Support Yasmine’s interests further? e.g. supplying other materials to develop her ideas further in different contexts?
- Encourage Yasmine to talk about what she’s doing?
- Do you need to encourage more of this kind of exploratory play and learning for the young children in your setting?