Seth gives a friend a rideFour year old friends Seth and Davide are playing on the bike. Seth is giving Davide a lift but he's heavy on the uneven ground. How can he get over the bumps?
Good for looking at
- COEL - Active learning, keeping on trying
- Physical play
- Physical development
- Learning outdoors
Four year old friends Seth and Davide are playing on the bike. Seth is giving Davide a lift but he’s heavy on the uneven ground. How can he get over the bumps?
- How are the children learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- How does the environment support the children’s learning?
- What is valuable about the equipment provided?
What are your thoughts about:
- How Seth is learning?
- How the friendship between Seth and Davide supports their learning?
- The role of the environment in enabling this learning?
- The value of this type of physical play for supporting self-regulated learning?
What would you do to:
- Support Seth’s understanding of what he has learned?
- Encourage the boys to take turns so that Davide is active in this play?
- Extend their learning – e.g. supplying other physical challenges that they can do together?
- Model behaviours for young children and show how useful they are? Talking out loud about how your working through a physical challenge while you’re doing it.
- Do you need to encourage more of this kind of physical play for the children in your setting?