Luca climbs a ladderThree year old Luca is in the garden learning how to get up the rope ladder into the tree. His mum supports him with this new and difficult task.
Good for looking at
- COEL - Active learning
- Physical development
- Managing risk
Three year old Luca is in the garden learning how to get up the rope ladder into the tree.
- How is Luca learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- In what ways does Mum support Luca’s learning?
- How does the environment support Luca’s learning?
What are your thoughts about:
- How Luca was communicating with Mum?
- What areas of learning and development were covered?
- The role of the adult in this interaction – how did she support him?
- The value of this type of risky physical play?
What would you do to:
- Support Luca’s physical developments further?
- Encourage Luca to talk about how he learned a new skill, helping to develop his meta-cognition?
- Encourage his attempts to try out new difficult activities?
- Make sure the activity is safe enough? Think about risk vs benefit (see more in further reading)
- How can you encourage this kind of physical challenge in your setting?