Skye and Sophie exploring waterTwo year old Skye is playing with her friend Sophie at the water butt in the nursery garden. They chat as they play. They're so engrossed in what they're doing they don't want to go in when it's lunch time.
Good for looking at
- Social development
- Learning outdoors
- Playing with water
- Exploring materials
- Children playing alone
Two year old Skye is playing with her friend Sophie at the water butt in the nursery garden. They chat as they play. They’re so engrossed in what they’re doing they don’t want to go in when it’s lunch time.
- What cues can you see that show what the children are interested in? (Look out for non-verbal and body language as well as spoken language)
- How are they learning learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- In what ways do the children support each other’s learning?
- How does the environment and materials support their learning?
What did you recognise about:
- How the girls are learning? Did you see any evidence of the characteristics of effective learning?
- The areas of learning and development that were covered through their play activity?
- Their social behaviour and the importance of having a peer to explore with?
- The importance of the environment and the materials?
What would you do next?
- Using the information from your observation of the two girls at play on their own how could you extend their learning?
- Did watching the clip help you notice any particular strengths in allowing children time to play on their own?
- Could you suggest ways of encouraging children to support each other’s learning in your own setting?
- What safety precautions would need to be thought about if the children in your setting are to be given short periods of time to play without adult interference? Thorough risk assessment is essential for this kind of practice.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/sirenfilms.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/siren-films/templates/parts/video/tabs/transcript.php on line 13