See young children managing to avoid conflict
Three year old friends Fran and Lauren are playing outside together. Fran upsets Lauren and has to work out how to fix it.
- What strategies do the children use to deal with conflict?
- How are the children learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- How does the environment support the children’s learning?
What did you recognise about:
- The way the children are learning – what evidence did you see of the children creating and thinking critically?
- The areas of learning and development that were covered?
- The adult’s role – or absence of adult intervention?
- How would you have responded in this situation? How might it have been different if an adult had intervened?
- What would you do next? How could you encourage the children to discuss and understand what happened?
- Did watching the clip help you notice any particular strengths or weaknesses that you might have when trying to support children’s emotional development? Do you find leaving children to sort out their conflicts difficult?
Visit the new online clip library and find lots of videos about young children's social and emotional development
With 100s of short video clips to search through there's always going to be something that fits your needs. You can search by area of child development, specific theories, areas of play, learning strategies, age or setting and find just what you need to enhance your training and make learning stick. Additional information, prompts and reflection questions provide support and guidance for planning training.