Counting to 50 – ELGsHappiness experiments with her knowledge of number, counting and patterns using tens frames. She is supported by her teacher.
Good for looking at
- Maths resources
In this clip Happiness is experimenting with her knowledge of numbers, counting and patterns. She is demonstrating what she knows and then challenging herself to work out more patterns. She uses the tens frames to demonstrate what she works out.
- How the adult scaffolds what is happening
- how what is available in the environment supports embedded learning.
Refer back to the ELGs for Mathematics
- Happiness is within both the Mathematic ELGS. She is using resources to demonstrate what she knows, but she is not reliant on them. It is important here to really understand how each child uses their mathematical knowledge. The ELG states ‘without reference to rhymes, counting or other aids’, however, it is clear here that Happiness is secure in Mathematics and the tens frames are her representation of what she is doing. Remember that every ‘Expected’ judgement is ‘best fit’, it’s a summing up of everything you know from the year.
- What do you notice Happiness demonstrating?
- Which other Early Learning Goals are being demonstrated here?