How do we balance?A group of three and four year olds are playing with some planks and a log. They try to balance and make see saw. They have to manage risk to make this game work.
Good for looking at
- Physical development
- Risky play
- Forest nursery/kindergarten
- Nature pedagogy
A group of three and four year olds are playing with some planks and a log. They try to balance and make see saw. They have to manage risk to make this game work.
- How are the children learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- In what ways does the adult support the children’s learning?
- How does the environment support the children’s learning?
- What is valuable about the materials provided as learning resources?
What are your thoughts about:
- How the children communicated with each other?
- What areas of learning and development were covered?
- The role of the adult in this interaction – how did he support them?
- The value of this type of risky physical play?
What would you do to:
- Support the children’s understanding of balance?
- Encourage the children’s co-operative play abilities?
- Encourage their attempts to try out new difficult activities?
- Make sure the activity is safe enough? Think about risk vs benefit (see more in further reading)
- How can you encourage this kind of physical challenge in your setting?
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/sirenfilms.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/siren-films/templates/parts/video/tabs/transcript.php on line 13
|Play England - managing risk in play provision||Visit Link|