Beer for the piratesA group of 3 to 5 year old children are outside with the teacher. She has set them a task, to make beer for the pirates. To do this they need to clarify the liquid, removing the bits. They have measuring jugs, sieves, funnels and syringes.
Good for looking at
- Adult directed playful activity
- Understanding the world
A group of 3 to 5 year old children are outside with the teacher. She has set them a task, to make beer for the pirates. To do this they need to clarify the liquid, removing the bits. They have measuring jugs, sieves, funnels and syringes.
- What cues can you see that show what the children are interested in? (Look out for non-verbal and body language as well as spoken language)
- How are the children learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- In what ways does the adult support the children’s learning?
- How does the environment support the children’s learning?
- What is valuable about the materials provided as learning resources?
What are your thoughts about:
- How the children approached the task?
- How involved were the children in the task?
- What and how were they learning?
- The role of the adult in this interaction – how did she support the children?
- The role of the environment and the effectiveness materials provided for the activity?
- How effective do you think this adult initiated activity was?
What would you do to:
- Support individual children in their different approaches to the task?
- Encourage the children to co-operate with each other to solve problems?
- Get the children to evaluate how well certain strategies are working?
- Model behaviours for young children and show how useful they are?
- Do you need to make adult initiated activities more playful in your setting? Do you make the most of any outdoor spaces you have access to?
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/sirenfilms.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/siren-films/templates/parts/video/tabs/transcript.php on line 13