Seth and Davide go dancingFour year olds Seth and Davide, inspired by a video playing in the nursery, have put on some Irish dancing costumes. They watch the movements and attempt to recreate them.
Good for looking at
- COEL - playing and exploring
- Physical play
- Expressive and creative development
Four year olds Seth and Davide, inspired by a video playing in the nursery, have put on some Irish dancing costumes. They watch the movements and attempt to recreate them.
- What cues can you see that show what the children are interested in? (Look out for non-verbal and body language as well as spoken language)
- How are the children learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- In what ways does the adult support the children’s learning?
- How do the environment and materials support the children’s learning?
What are your thoughts about:
- How were Seth and Davide communicating with each other?
- The importance of their friendship in this interaction?
- The role of the adult in this interaction – how did she support Seth and Davide?
- The importance of the video and clothes that were provided as learning resources?
- The value of this type of physical play for Seth and Davide?
What would you do to:
- Support Seth and Davide’s interest in dancing and movement?
- Extend their learning – e.g. bringing in new language while they play?
- Model behaviours for young children and show how useful they are?
- Do you need to encourage more of this kind of physical play for the children in your setting? Do you use technology and videos in this way to spark children’s interests in new activities?