The bakersThree year old Seb is at his playgroup. He is at the sandpit and has started a game of bakers with some hollow blocks. Other quickly join in and a game develops.
Good for looking at
- Pretend play
- Object play
- Cooperative play
- Emotional development
- Avoiding conflict
Three year old Seb is at his playgroup. He is at the sandpit and has started a game of bakers with some hollow blocks. Other quickly join in and a game develops.
- How Seb communicates during his play (look out for body language and non-verbal)
- How is Seb learning? Which areas of development, engagement and characteristics of learning can you observe?
- The dynamics of the group while engaging in free play
- How do the environment and materials support the children’s learning?
What are your thoughts about:
- The areas of learning and development that were covered through his play activity?
- What was the adults role? Even though they weren’t involved, what have they done to support this play?
- The importance of the environment and the materials?
What would you do to:
- How could you support Seb’s leadership skills?
- How could you support the older girl’s leadership skills?
- Could you suggest a way of encouraging this kind of role play in your own setting?